Happy Spring to all Ladybug Families!
April’s themes were "The Zoo" and "The Farm." The Ladybugs had loads of fun building, creating, matching, planting and comparing all things animal!
Some highlights include:
- zoo animal matching card game
- decorating our own zoo animals and creating our own imaginary zoo out of Duplo Blocks and play animals
- planting flowers in the school yard barrels during FFS “Green-Up Day” (Thanks to Moms and T-TH families who came to help that day!)
- planting seeds in our Ladybug garden patch (we are growing radishes, carrots, chard and kale!)
- more work collecting twigs and branches that fell in our play yards during the winter storms
- blowing (and chasing and popping!) bubbles outside on the playground
- As a class, we completed our first 24 piece floor puzzle (a farm scene). So exciting!!
- playing with Nathaniel’s old tractors and other farm equipment
- We enjoyed a visit from former FFS cook, Janine, who came to our classroom and taught us how to make butter (which was yummy with the bread that Vicki brought into share with us!)
- playing “Red Light, Green Light” (we try to stop when the light turns red... really we do!)
- Cutting, rolling, pressing and shaping play dough is always a favorite activity!
- We wrote class stories about what we would be if we lived on a farm. (See slideshow for details...)
- Thanks to the Hicks family, we were able to fill our sensory table with hay, straw and animal feed. We learned about the difference between hay and straw, and how they are used on the farm. We then used those materials to create our very own farm collage! (We were also lucky enough to receive a special visit from a farm animal AND a tractor... more on that in our May Update!)
A special thanks to the Hicks family for providing us some farm-related items for our farm unit, and to the Chen/Wong family for making us yellow play dough!