Winter has taken hold of life in the Ladybug classroom! We have been enjoying winter activities of all kinds during our Winter is Here, Birds, and Animals in Winter themes. We listened to and wrote our own stories about what we need to wear to stay warm in the winter, and have been working at dressing ourselves as we prepare for outdoor recess (on the days it's been warm enough to actually go outside!) During our unit about birds, we painted with feathers, and made treats for the birds out of birdseed and toasted oats cereal. We’ve been learning about woodland animals, such as squirrels, rabbits, bears, mice, deer, fox, and owls. We are learning about what kinds of homes they live in and how they survive the cold winter months.
Some other highlights include:
- making snowmen, both inside and out!
- doing the “Snowkey Pokey” (put your boots in, put your boots out..., etc.)
- sledding, making snow angels, and having friendly “snowball fights”
- hanging our handmade treats on the playground trees for the birds
- digging for arctic animals in our sensory table filled with cotton ball “snow”
- hiding in our classroom “bear cave” (sheet covering a long able)
- painting with bubble wrap, shower puffs and other small household “gadgets”
- making colored ice ornaments for outside tree decoration (see picture above)
- building homes for our stuffed woodland animals with Bristle Blocks and Magformers
- trying to "think warm" by building and jumping into an imaginary pool of giant blocks!
Thanks to Henry Hartzell and family for our January glittery snow-white play dough.
Check out the slideshows at the bottom of this post to see your child in action!
Songs and Fingerplays introduced in January
I’m A Little Birdie
(Sung to: I'm a Little Teapot)
I'm a little birdie
Cute and fat.
I eat worms.
I don't like cats.
When I see a cat come out to play,
I spread my wings,
And I fly away!
Two Little Blackbirds
Two little blackbirds
Sitting on a hill,
One named Jack,
One named Jill.
Fly away Jack!
Fly away Jill!
Come back Jack,
Come back Jill!
(Substitute different colors)
(Sung To: "Are you Sleeping")
Dance like snowflakes, Dance like snowflakes
In the air, In the air
Whirling, Twirling snowflakes, Whirling, Twirling snowflakes
Here and there, Here and there